Sunday, September 14, 2008

Archery : Malaysian Archers Challenge Falter

BEIJING, Sept 11 (Bernama) -- Malaysian archers campaign faltered in the men's individual recurve W1/W2 second elimination round at the 13th Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games.

Eight seeded Mohd Salam Sidik went down 94-106 to ninth seeded Jung Young-joo of South Korea while Zulkifli Mat Zin succumbed to fifth seeded Cheng Changjie of China 103-108.

"I was not under pressure until the second half when I lost my focus. I tried to redeem myself towards the end of the event but to no avail. The second last arrow missed the target," he told Bernama after the event at the Olympic Green Archery Field.

Mohd Salam was three points behind after the first six arrows when he scored 47 points.

Although he found his rhythm after that and collected 27 points including two full points, Jung stayed ahead with 28 points.

A lapse of concentration in the last three arrows proved costly to Mohd Salam as he managed to collect only 20 points while Jung did better to finish the event with 106 points.

On the other hand, Zulkifli gave Cheng a good fight."I am not happy with my results although there were better than my previous record at the Athens Paralympic four years ago. I have to work harder to improve my performance," said Zulkifli.

-- BERNAMA

No comments: