Monday, September 15, 2008

Swimming : Yusuf Fails To Make It To Final

BEIJING, Sept 15 (Bernama) -- The Olympic jitters got the better of national paralympic swimmer Yusuf Dewa, causing him to fail to make it to the final in the 50m freestyle (S6 category) at the Water Cube aquatics complex here today.


Yusuf, 38, only managed to clock 35.24 seconds and finished in 13th place out of a field of 15 competitors in his heat.


"I apologise to all Malaysians. I tried my best but the pressure was just too great on me," he told Bernama.


Yusuf, who won a bronze in the same event at the Fespic Games in Kuala Lumpur in 2006, was also the last Malaysian athlete to compete in the Beijing Paralympics.


Meanwhile, national paralympic swimming coach, May Ng noted that her athletes were lacking in mental preparation.


"I think we had done the best that we could. The pressure from the other participants was great. I think Malaysian athletes need more mental preparation, especially for meets at this level," she said.


-- BERNAMA

No comments: